Monday, 22 February 2010

Fresh Start

On 31 January, I changed direction from doing a case study to doing a project. This involves implementing a refactoring (probably Replace Conditional with Strategy, Kerievsky, p129) in an existing tool. So far I have done a literature search and found in excess of 30 useful references. I am now in the process of investigating the existing tools to work out how the implementation might work. I have had one supervisor meeting since this change (22 Feb). Last week was school half term so not much done due to childcare requirements. The week before was mostly the literature search and working out the literature review outline. I also spent some time last week cleaning up the Zotero citation style (in XML) to match the university requirements. Yesterday, I tried out the refactoring in Eclipse because I am familiar with that environment - it took 14 steps to do the refactoring as described by Kerievsky but I realised towards the end of the process that he has done a lot of "unnecessary" extra steps so I need to simplify. Today, I will be trying it in Intellij, and also attempting to build some simple plugins to see how it all fits together.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John, finally got to read your blog, what's been happening lately? How much further do you have to go?

    ReplyDelete